Debunking Some of The Vaping Terms and Phrases3 min read
Vaping is now well established in mainstream use as an important option when smokers choose what type of nicotine replacement therapy they use to help them give up smoking. Now being enjoyed by many as an alternative to cigarettes, vaping as with any increasingly popular activity has its own specific phrases and terms which some can find confusing. This short article will hopefully give both new and experienced vapers information on some of the terms used in the vaping wide world.
The Different Devices
Most vapers will start with a simple vape, possibly a disposable one and then move onto a more complicated machine. All vape devices use an internal battery to heat a coil which, using a wicking material, has soaked up the e-liquid or e-cig juice contained in a small tank. Vapes at the higher end of the market can feature adjustable batteries, different types of coil and tank options. Some of the terms used are –
- AIO – All-in-one – refers to most vapes that have all the components built in.
- Atomizer – this refers to the coil or sometimes the coil and tank.
- Cartomizer – This is a screw in refill used in some starter kits.
- Drip Tip – the mouthpiece which you inhale the vapour.
- Mod – describes a powerful advanced vape device with large batteries.
- POD – The pod is the newest type of device which uses plastic pods in place of the normal tank/coil design.
- Sub Ohm – this describes coils with a low resistance, they are used in some devices to create large clouds of vapour.
The Tasty Liquid
E-Liquid has four components, namely Propylene Glycol (PG), Vegetable Glycerin (VG), food-based flavouring and the nicotine element. Vapers can use both pre-mixed e-liquid and purchase liquids and the nicotine part separately and mix their own.
Here is some of the terms involved when referring to e-liquid –
- 50/50 – a liquid with equal amounts of VG and PG, used by many as it creates a nice even flavourful vape.
- 70/30 – this is high in VG liquid and is used in conjunction with a sub ohm vape device to create a super large cloud of vapour.
- 80/20 – a high PG vape liquid it creates a vape high in flavour with a greater throat hit.
- Freebase – one of the two types of nicotine used in e-liquid, it is created using an old chemical process.
- Nic Salt – The other form of nicotine now in use, refined using a more natural process it is becoming popular as it creates a super smooth vape.
- Nic Shot – flavourless nicotine liquid used when mixed with your own e-liquid.
- Shortfill – The other element when mixing your own vape juice, the nic shot is combined with the shortfill to make the finished article.
- Throat Hit – refers to the sensation when the vape hits the back of your throat.
This is by no means all the terms and phrases used in the vaping world, but I hope there was one or two you were not aware of but now are. Vaping is now enjoyed by an increasing number of ex-smokers and with a greater understanding you will too.